creative computing classes Skerries presents:
The next few cccSkerries Camps
Run by Sabine McKenna, cccSkerries. Location: cccSkerries training room in Kelly’s Bay.
June = Secondary Student Summer Camps
Here are the much-asked-for camps for those off in June. Ideal for students who are currently in 1st to 2nd Year and for those currently in TY. Three weeks, three different camps!
For all camps, laptops are provided, and attendees should bring a snack and some water. No prior knowledge needed for any of these camps. Small groups, between 4 and 6 participants. Location: Kelly’s Bay Rocks.
- SEC01: Mixed Digital Skills. A bit of keyboard skills, search tips, creating effective presentations, a bit of coding, introducing the Micro:Bit, using Google Maps like a pro…How to get most out of the internet for your purposes… Find out more about how to be tech savvy and aware of your digital footprint… and more…
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., four days (Tue 4 to Fri 7 June), €100. *Book here.
- SEC02: Our Digital Future. Artificial Intelligence. Robotics. Self-driving cars. Smart homes. Virtual and Augmented Reality… Learn and research one topic or more topics and create a presentation or a video based on your findings.
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days (Mon 10 to Fri 14 June), €125. *Book here.
- *Waiting List:* SEC03: Python Coding & Minecraft – When the snake meets Steve! Who needs mods if you can learn how to mod Minecraft yourself…. Good for those with and without coding experience. And yes, we’ll be playing a bit of Minecraft, too. A bit! You don’t need to know any Python beforehand. And if you’ve already done some… so much the better, but this will be different from any Python you’ve done with cccSkerries before! **Fully booked.**
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days (Mon 17 – Fri 21 June), €125. *Join the waiting list here.
July & August Camps
- *Waiting List:*SUM01: Introduction to Coding using Scratch. For those new to coding. Create an animation with your own graphics, make a mini game that you code yourself. No experience, no laptop required.
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days (Mon 15 to Fri 19 July), €125. 1st – 4th Class. *Join the waiting list here. *Fully booked.*
- SUM02: Creating Space Invaders using Python. 1st – 4th Year; possibly 5th/6th Class. You don’t need to know any Python beforehand. And if you’ve already done some… so much the better, but this will be different from any Python you’ve done with cccSkerries before!
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days (Mon 22 to Fri 26 July), €125. *Book here.
- SUM03: Minecraft Camp! Survival. Spend a few days in a brand new world, and see where you can take the game in that time. Cooperative fun (NOT fighting) in starting a new civilisation.
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days (Mon 17 to Fri 21 June), €125. 1st – 4th Class. *Book here. *Nearly full.*
- SUM04: Introduction to the BBC Micro:Bit.
This is a first for cccSkerries – we’ll work with a miniature “computer” that is roughly the size of a credit card and can be programmed to do all sorts of fascinating things. It can detect being shaken or tilted, it can display messages (one letter at a time), it can measure temperature and much more. Includes a micro:bit to keep! These amazing contraptions are easy to program – during this week, we’ll try out a number of different projects with them. Be prepared for some entry-level electronics fun!
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., four days (Tue 6 Aug to Fri 9 Aug), €125 (includes a Micro:Bit). 5th Class and older. *Book here.
- * Waiting List* SUM05: Minecraft Camp *Fully booked.*
This is the camp for fans of Creative Minecraft. We’ll be in a shared world and take on some individual and group builds.
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days (Mon 19 to Fri 23 Aug), €125. 1st – 4th Class. *Join the Waiting List here.
- SUMXX: Additional Minecraft Camp!!!
This week’s morning camp filled up in a flash, so here’s an extra one for those who missed it. We’ll be in a shared world and take on some individual and group builds… or go into survival, depending on what the campers prefer. We might even do both!
2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m., five days (Mon 19 to Fri 23 Aug), €125. 1st – 4th Class. *Book here.
Can’t come? How about an online coding course for parents and children?